Institute Alternative (IA) started implementing a new project ”For the Better Use of Public Money!“. The overall objective of the project is to contribute to establishing transparent, competitive and effective public procurement system in Montenegro.
Project is financially supported by the Embassy of the Kingdom of Netherlands.
Specific objectives of the project are to:
- Provide in-depth and independent monitoring (civil society monitoring) of the implementation of the public procurement procedures, legal and institutional solutions;
- Encourage competition in public procurement and contribute to establishing merit-based public procurement system in Montenegro;
- Strengthen capacities and improve knowledge of the public procurement actors on the risks for corruption that legal solutions carry.
In order to achieve these objectives, IA project team will:
- Conduct in-depth monitoring of the implementation of the new Public Procurement Law and provide recommendations on improving both the legal solutions and their implementation;
- Conduct sectorial in-depth research in the security and defence area;
- map the owners of the companies with the most often awarded tenders and their connection with public officials;
- Conduct research: (Same) Value for (Same) Money;
- Conduct a public opinion survey on corruption risks in public procurement;
- Organise three policy events aimed at presenting project findings and triggering further interest of domestic and foreign relevant stakeholders, NGOs and the media on public procurement.
Project duration is 20 months, and the end of the project is planned for April 2021.