”Eight years of Law on Parliamentary Oversight of Security and Defense Sector
– Did the Committee lose its significance?’’
Venue: PR Centre (Grand hall), Josip Broz Boulevard, 23A, Podgorica
Time: Monday, 24th December, 2018 at 12am
The Institute Alternative (IA) is organizing a press conference on the occasion of the 8 years since adoption of the Law on Parliamentary Oversight of Security and Defense Sector.
The press conference will be held at the PR Center on Monday, 24th December, starting at 12am.
Montenegro is the only country in the region that regulated this important and sensitive area by law, and the legislator’s intention was to strengthen the control role of the Parliament of Montenegro and have more efficient oversight of the security and defense sector. On 22nd December 2010, all MPs in Parliament voted for the adoption of this law. However, eight years later, the enthusiasm for law enforcement appears to be exhausted.
Special attention will be paid to the following topics:
• What did the Parliamentary Committee on Security and Defense Sector do in 2018 and what did it fail to do?
• What control mechanisms have been implemented and what is their reach?
• To what extent is the Committee involved in key decisions related to security sector reforms – active participant or voiceless observer?
• Does the Committee contribute to greater accountability of the security sector, in particular the Police?
This activity is carried out under the POINTPULSE project funded by the European Union, through the Instrument for Pre-accession Assistance (IPA), within the Civil Society Facility (CSF) Programme. The contents do not necessary reflect the views of the European Union, and are solely the responsibility of POINTPULSE network members.
Should you need any further information, please do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com or at 020/268-686.
You can also follow us on social networks using hashtags #pointpulse and #balkancops.